NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Kroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:00:51 EDT

 If there is anyone with young children who also have this problem please
write me.  I don't know any other parents who really understand.  Everyone is
sympathetic, but I'd really like to communicate with some people who know
first hand.  (Or
 second hand as the case may be.)
 Thanks!                                 Jessica L.

Hi Jessica.
I have been "lurking" on this list for about 2 months now.  I read to find out
that there are many other parents out there that understand about food
allergies.    I often read and feel better about our situation because I do
not feel alone.  I agree, other parents are genuinely sympathic, but do not
understand.

My son Andrew (14 months) is allergic to milk, wheat, eggs and peanuts.  His
reaction is wheezing.  The extent of the wheezing depends on how much of the
offending product he ingests.  Milk is the biggest offender.  He reacts
immediately, and his asthma is red zone for at least a day after. He is quite
the trooper.  I am thankful we have each day with him.

Andrew was tested for allergies 1 year. He has yet to show any allergies to
anything other than food.  He is allergic to all of the 4 foods we tested
which means we will be retesting those 4 and 10 other foods at his 15 month
check-up.  I have learned a lot about what types of test provide the most
accurate results from this list.

Reading labels will become your best defense.  Kosher is the easiest way to be
sure that no dairy products are present in the food. You can be sure he gets
enough calcuim with fortified oj, and other juices such as gerber graduates
and some new crystal lite drinks (if you don't mind the nutrasweet).

Good luck to you.

Lisa