NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:24:59 -0400
On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:54 PM, Weavre Cooper wrote:

> So have others here been faced with that same grilled chicken/plain
> green
> beans/plain potato meal sandwiched between a bit of salad and hothouse
> honeydew at other conventions, organizational dinners, and similar
> events?
>
> How do you handle it, if you attend such events at all regularly?
> What are
> your thoughts?
===========

I always call the organizer and speak with the chef, however, my
experience with bulk catering is that you cannot trust the chefs to
deal with food allergies in a safe manner.

I always eat before I attend any function.  Never a full meal, but
enough so that I don't starve during the evening. That way, I feel
lucky if I get a safe meal and not short changed.

I have a dairy, soy and egg allergy, celiac disease and cannot eat any
animal products.  My dietary requirements are often too difficult for
a bulk caterer to deal with.

I am attending a Bat Mitzvah in a few weeks and I know that there is
no chance of me, or my children receiving safe food. The kitchen at
the shul is milchick and bread (bagels and challah) will feature
prominently in the food. I just hope that they have fruit that I can
give my children.

Sherene