NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:26:50 PST
Hi there everyone.  I am not a cook.  I would very much like to know if
safflower oil can be substituted in a recipe calling for butter. Someone
on the Celiac list posted a lovely recipe for gluten free sugar cookies.
I would very much like to be able to make cookies like this, but they
call for butter.  I also am soy free, so I can't substitute Crisco
Shortening or margarine.  Do I have options?  Any ideas how to make the
recipe work?  Thank you so much for your help.
Abigail
You will find Celiac chat instructions on my homepage
(Click on Reload on each page for latest version):
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/
The recipe was posted by By Lorraine on the celiac list, [log in to unmask]

Holiday Sugar Cookies

 3 C white rice flour
 1 t cream of tartar
 1 t baking soda
 3 t xanthum gum
 2 cold eggs
 1/4 t salt
 1 C butter (cold)
 1 C sugar
 1 t GF vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients.  Cut in butter until mixture in the size of
peas. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl then add to the dry
ingredients and mix.  Stir until dough pulls away from sides of the
bowl.  Keep in bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.  This will make it
easier to roll out.  Dust cutting area with GF flour.  Roll out dough
1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.  Makes 3 dozen cookies. Bake
12 min. at 350 degrees.

 Frosting

 3 C powdered sugar
 1/3 C softened butter
 1 1/2 t vanilla
 About 2 T milk

 Mix sugar and butter; stir in vanilla and milk; beat until smooth and
 spreadable.