NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:33:13 -0800
D Jacobs wrote:

> Cathy O'Connor wrote:
>
> >  Fleischman's Salt Free margarine is not
> > only dairy free, but it also non-hydrogenated.
>
> I purchase this product in stick form in the US.  My box states that it
> contains partially hydrogenated soybean oil as the 2nd ingredient.  I agree
> with all the other good features that you mentioned for this product, but don't
> see how it is non-hydrogenated.

Well, we are obviously referring to two different products, produced differently
for whatever reasons.  This Fleishmann's specifically states non hydrogenated right
beneath the name, and it's not stick form, it's tub form.  Also, there is no
soybean oil in this product.  It is made with 56% canola, 17% corn oil and the
remainder are palm kernel oils.  My daughter is allergic to soy and dairy, which is
why we chose this margarine.

> > I have learned that it is available in both Canada and the USA. It is a
> > great consistency for frying, baking etc. (but make sure you buy the
> > regular, not diet), and you get used to not having all that salt, which
> > although I realize less salt is healthy, I did miss it at first.
>
> Less salt is not always healthy.  I have hypotension related problems and
> my cardiologist wants me consuming LOTS of salt.

While your situation is unique, dietitians will tell you that the majority of the
population do not in fact need to consume any extra salt, receiving plenty, whether
it be naturally occurring or added during processing, even after exercise.

Cathy