NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 09:49:52 -0600
I have to second what Mark has said on this subject.  Although I will strictly
avoid peanuts during any future pregnancies, I don't think I "caused" Alyssa's
allergy by consuming peanuts while pregnant and breastfeeding.  Similarly for
her other allergies.  It obviously exposed her to the allergen earlier than ideal,
but "cause" is not the right word.

Laurie (and Alyssa, armed with AnaKits now...)

: Well, no I don't believe that you pass on the allergy itself as a factor of
: what you eat. What you do is sensitize them earlier. The open question is:
: would defering their exposure have any positive effect on whether they
: become allergic to the food (I don't think so) or to what degree their
: symptoms will develop (possibly, but I'm still doubtful).