NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 09:09:20 -0600
Hi all,
My husband and I tried goats milk with our milk protien allergy daughter
many months ago... she only took a couple of sips, but within a minute
she developed the tell tell signs of her allergy (ugly red blotches on
her face) and within an hour of her drinking just a couple of sips she
started the swelling... begining with her toungue and following with her
throat....... luckily we are very careful to give her benadryl after any
blotches appear on her face, so we were able to keep the sweelling to a
minimum.
We later rationalized, that even though it is not from a cow, it still
contains milk protiens, an animal by-product. since then we have given
up on trying any other sort of animal milk... and have just stuck to the
vegetable by- products
PLEASE... anyone with a severe allergy to milk protien, stay away from
animal milks, they all contain milk protiens... thus, you will react to
them.
Thanks
Barb
--- you wrote---
Hi.  I thought I would share with the group my recent experience with
goats milk.  I had heard and read that many people with milk allergies
and milk protein intolerance do well on goats milk.  I thought that it
was a good idea to give it a try.  I would love to have milk and cheese
and again, so I did a challenge.  I have been dairy free for about 9
months or so.  Monday morning I got up and drank 3/4 cup of goats milk
and watched for symptoms.  It didn't take long.  I started urping up and

burbing up a nasty taste about 10-15 minutes after ingesting the goats
milk.  This burbing and urping when on about half an hour when I finally

decided that some immodium was in order.  The burbing continued on and
off for 4 - 5 hours.  I felt malaise and had some mild stomach cramps
for a few hours.  After about 8 hours, I didn't notice any discomfort.
But after 14 hours, I notice huge red blotches of ezcema on my hands and

lower arms.  I wasn't expecting the later.  I guess either my
sensitivity to milk in general is more heightened after being dairy free

for so long or I am even more sensitive to goats milk than I am to cows
milk.  The blotches cleared up in a few days.  I also noticed that I had

some trouble with malabsorption for a couple of days.

Abgail, St Paul, MN
--

Check out my Web Page at: http://members.xoom.com/BbdnWind
To Contact me immediately, Check out my ICQ Web Pager: