NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:36:44 -0800
Regarding weight gain problems in allergic todlers, we have learnt a feew
tricks with our 28 mmonth old, who is still very underweight but gaining now
after 6 months of not gaining an ounce following our removal of all his allereeg
enic food.  (grains, soy, eggs, dairy, nuts, among others).  We have found that
many (and I mean many) small meals work best for him, spread out across the day
and going up until nbedtime.  We use oil (olive, safflower) liberally in place
of butter and as supplement (he likes thsis).  We feed him for snacks jars of
organic baby food which have only ingredients he can tolerate (not too many),
and rice cakes .  He recently started taking one capsule of evening primrose oil
 a source of gamma linoleic acid, (essential fattyu acid), and his appetite
and his attitude have improved incredibly.  He is supposed to drink Neocate but
completely rejects it .  (Anyone have ideas on different flavors or on how
to disguise?? He is able to detect even a few drops in his juice and immediately
 pronounces the Dr's name and says, No, I want JUICE!).  My experience is mostly
that hse seems to lack the fat products most kids get from dairy and baked
goods.  I don't think the body can grow without a certain levl of fat in the
body.

Regarding the Nalcorom, is this an excema treatement? (My son's reaction is
princiapally this, with low growth).

Please forgive the typing, no text editor available.

Susan, Nicky's smom.