NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 20:06:54 -0700
I read about 3 paragraphs of Lisa's post and thought to myself, I hope her
child is not allergic to corn! Those are from my purely anecdotal experience
the classic corn symptoms...and so many people/children seem to have varying
degrees.   My own son was too very emotionally affected by his allergies,
improved immensely after we eliminated most of them but we didn't discover
corn until last...mostly because it did NOT increase his eczema, it did NOT
make him throw up, it did NOT make him itchy.  It made him bounce off the
walls, and throw things, and be cranky (now 2 1/2) and like someone else.
His milk allergy was much more "clinical".  The allergist says this is
mediated by a different Ig factor than all his others but it is just as real.

I know this is the milk list and my apologies to the lucky milk-only allergy
sufferers, but I did want to point out that many times one many have MORE
than one allergy and removing just milk, while a good thing, may not entirely
be the answer.  I hear constantly how wheat and milk are similar proteins (I
am not a doctor though) and I also hear a lot of how allergies cross.

{Lisa said: " We also started to eliminate corn and
wheat from her diet.  It turns out that wheat is ok for her, but the
changes with pulling corn were incredible.  It's as if this intelligent,
driven, mature, outgoing kid suddenly woke from a stupor.  She does all her
work at school - and gets the answers right :-> -  homework is finished
before getting home, interested in sports, making new friends - wow."

}

A great incentive to consult Dr. Rapp's work if you have any doubts
about links between allergies and behavior,

SUSAN.