NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judith Landers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 21:43:05 EDT
Jen,

First try to send this came through as "no message collected,"  so here's a
second try.

    I make sour dough bread approximately twice a week. I usually don't eat
bought bread because the sour dough is so much better!   This recipe is so
good that I put my bread machine in the attic.   The recipe can even be used
to make garlic loafs, coffee cakes, or hamburger buns if you're creative!
It's so simple compared to making regular home made bread because the making
of it is spread over a 24 hour period.   You feed your starter in the
morning, make the dough that night, put in the pans the next morning , then
cook during the day.  If you work full time, it can be made on the week ends.

    I am milk intollerant, so I can have wheat.  The only other thing in the
recipe that is a common allergen is corn oil.  I guess the yeast  (in the
original starter) could be also, but you probably wouldn't be making bread if
you couldn't have the yeast.  It takes a week or so to get your first starter
going, then after that it just stays in the refrigerator.  I keep two going
all the time.

The recipe to get your starter going is as follows:
                Sour Dough Starter
1pkg dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water -divided
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teasp. salt
3 Tablesp. sugar

    Disolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water;  let stand 5 minutes.  Combine next
3 ingredients in a medium size non-metal bowl (I use a plastic tupperware
type container with a loosly screwed lid so it can vent); mix (or shake)
well.  Gradually stir in 2 cups warm water.  Add yeast mixture and mix well.
Cover loosley with plastic wrap  (or leave screw lid loose) and let stand in
a warm place (80 to 85) degrees for 72 hours, stirring (or shake) 2-3 times
daily.  Place fermented mixture in refrigerator, and stir daily;  use within
11 days.  Keep lid vented.
    To use for bread, remove starter from refrigerator.  If extra is there,
share one cup with a friend or throw some away, but always leave at least one
cup for your base starter.  Feed starter (using bread recipe) .  Let sit 8-12
hours on counter top.  Use one cup in bread dough.  Return remaining starter
to the refrigerator.  Repeat the procedure for using and replenishing
starter.  Yield:  about 2 cups

                                Sour Dough Bread Recipe

Starter:  For best results feed starter every 3-5 days with

3 Tbsp. instant potato flakes
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup warm water

Stir above ingredients until sugar dissolves.  Pour into starter.  Stir and
leave out of refrigerator 8-12 hours.  Stir and pour off one cup for use in
your bread.   Put remaining (at least one cup) starter back in refrigerator.
Note:  If your starter is not fed for a while you don't have to throw it away
and start over.  Just take it out of the refrigerator, feed it, let it sit
out a few hours, then return to the refrigerator.   Three or four days later
feed again and make bread.

Bread Dough:
6 cups of pareve bread flour
1/2 cup corn oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
 1 1/2 cups warm water
 1 cup starter

    Combine flour, sugar and salt.  Add water, oil, and starter.  Mix well
with hands.  Knead only 8-10 times.  Put dough in a large oiled bowl.  Cover
with plastic wrap.  Let rise overnight on counter.

Next morning:

    Flour counter and pour dough out.  Knead only to shape loaves or will
loose elasticity.
Divide into 3 pieces and put into loaf pans.  Let rise 3-5 hours (depends on
room temperature).  Preheat oven to 325.  Bake until light brown.  Recipe
calls for 40 minutes, but my oven is hot and cooks 18 minutes.  Remove from
oven and turn onto cooling rack.  May be spread with pareve margerine while
hot if desired.
Note: About every third time you feed the starter there will be enough extra
to give some away.

Enjoy!
Judith