NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Zdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:51:43 -0500
> First question is, who told you and on what basis?  I am finding a lot
> of doctors are simply ascribing symptoms to lactose intolerance
> without
> doing any testing at all.

Her diagnosis is based on biopsies of her intestine.  Because of the
other trouble she was having, she had an endoscopy and colonoscopy
done and they did biopsies.  They said that she produced some lactase
but that it was deficient.  She had trouble when we switched from
formula to milk but seemed to have outgrown it.  At least she seemed
to tolerate dairy.  Now she gets a tummy ache and diarrhea from ice
cream.  She drinks milk and eats cheese with no reaction.  There are
no nuts in the ice cream as she doesn't like them.  And we have
noticed it with about three different flavors/brands.  I started
giving her lactase pills before she eats ice cream and she said it
helps some.
Kathy Zdon