NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:11:13 -0800
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:35:22 -0500 Harvey and Janine McDonald
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Can anything be done  to help the Eczema besides Cortaid?

One of our biggest problems is eczema also.  My daughter had some at her
2 week checkup.  By 2 months, she was covered from head to toe.
Sometimes it gets so bad that her skin actually cracks and bleeds.  Since
I also have eczema, the doctor didn't really think much of it.  It tends
to run in families and genetics plays the biggest part in developing it.
It wasn't until about 2 1/2 months and many trips to the doctor with
feeding, vomitting, crying problems that anyone even mentioned the
possibility of dairy allergies.  Keeping dairy and chocolate out of my
diet and hers keeps her skin nice and baby soft :-)  We actually use her
skin condition as the tell-tale for when I've gotten something with diary
in it.

The main attack on eczema should be hydration of the skin.  It's OK to
use the cortizone creams on bad spots and for short periods of time, but
they shouldn't be the only treatment especially if the eczema is
persistant.  Don't use corticosteriod on the face - it thins the skin out
and can cause problems.  This is also the reason that long term use is
not good all over either.  Usually, the OTC cortisone works just as well
as any of the prescription ones.  They key is consistancy in putting it
on.

Avoid hot water.  Baths should be in warm water which is less drying.
Don't stay in there too long either.  Fresh and chlorinated water are
very drying.  Salt water does not seem to cause problems.  Blot dry
instead of rubbing also helps.

Don't use soaps.  Use moisturing cleansing bars such as Dove or Ivory
makes one too.  What we use is Eucerin Bath Bar.  It's expensive, but the
only thing that doesn't leave my skin feeling like sandpaper.  I find
that even Dove leaves my skin dry and flakey.  The Eucerin doesn't lather
like soap does, but a bar last a long time because it doesn't melt away
either.

Use moisturizing creams that are oil based.  Some of these can be pretty
heavy and goopy and leave you feeling slimy.  Lubriderm and Keri are good
ones.  I tried LacHydren (sp?) once and the stuff burned so bad I could
hardly stand it.  The allergist thought I was nuts and couldn't imagine
why I reacted that way.  Eucerin is good also and they make a new Light
version which is what we use.  I try to get it on Alyssa twice a day, but
often forget when her skin is not broken out.  The most important time is
immediately following a bath.  Put it on all over, not just the spots
that are broken out.  Use the cortisone cream first on the bad spots.
For myself, I also often use Clinique Moisture Surge Treatment Formula.
It's kind of a gel and doesn't feel slippery when I put it on.  I have
yet to find anything that works well on my hands which also get contact
dermititis from dishwashing on top of the normal dry skin and eczema.

That's my version of eczema in a nut shell :-)
Kathy