NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 15:33:20 -0500
MARGARET E HERRICK wrote:

> Hi, IIya,
>
> As my chiropractor's door mat says, "Glad to see you're (your) back".
>
> It appears that milk and ice cream are famous for causing mucous and
> stuffing up sinus tracts and ears too.  However, I have that same result
> from cheese and wine (unless it is vintage wine and not "quality
> controled" by using sulfites.)
I don't think I react to wine, but then again I have expensive tastes
and tend to drink better wines when I do drink, which is rare. Don't
know if they have sulfites or not. I don't always react badly to dairies,
just that I notice the reaction quite clearly when I do react. I had a
particularly well pronounced one recently to cheesecake.

> In my case the culprit is sulfites.  They occur naturally in those
> fermented foods, but are also added in the manufacture thereof,
> especially the wines.  I used to wonder why I developed a sinus attack
> every time I ate Pizza or an Italian dish with cheese, along with some
> wine.
Where can I find out more about sulfites? Is there a comprehensive book/review
about them? (Preferably not of the variety "sulfites are worse than Hitler,
and the demon was spawned by sulfites", but that'll do if it's the only one
out there.)

Ilya