NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:37:04 -0500
On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Eileen Brandt wrote:
> . "P" or "Parve" means the product contains no meat
> or dairy products but may contain fish or eggs.
===========

this is incorrect. "P"  DOES NOT denote no dairy, it means that the
product is kosher for Passover.   "Pareve" denotes no dairy.

> "D," as in "Kosher D," means
> that the product either contains milk protein or was made with dairy
> machinery.  The same holds true for items labeled with "DE"

this is not strictly true.  "D" generally means that a product
contains milk protein but not always.  The different authorities have
different standards. OU will use the dairy symbol if the product
contains milk or if it was manufactured on dairy equipment.  Often OU
"D" products are actually free of all dairy and the company who
manufactures the product is scrupulous about cleaning the lines
between different batches and are scrupulous about cross contamination.

Kaf-K on the other hand splits out "Dairy" and "Dairy Equipment".
In this case you know to avoid all Kaf-K D products but after close
questioning of the supplier you may decide it is safe to eat their DE
products.

I agree that it is a good precaution to avoid all products with a D
or a DE symbol but in the interest of full disclosure I did want to
note that if you do so you are unnecessarily restricting your diet.
However if you choose to eat products with the D or DE symbols it
does require diligent label reading and many phone calls to
manufacturers to find out about the cleaning procedures and cross
contamination issues.

Robert's American Gourmet is one company that has OU D hechshers on
their products but after close discussion with the company I am happy
that Ting's and Veggie Booty are safe for my family.

Sherene in Norfolk.