NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:16:28 -0400
Dan Twogood wrote:

>Here's  one list (from Blaylock, "Excitotoxins: The taste That Kills")
>saesoning
>spices

To be more specific:

The following is excerpted from the Summer 1993 newsletter of the NOMSG group:

Spices: FDA regulations do not allow pure MSG to be put under this label
designation, while the USDA does (particularly in sausage seasonings).
Occasionlly spice blends are used that contain MSG. Consumer beware.

Seasonings: See spices above.

Note that this is four years old. The USDA has updated their regs.

>Maybe I'm wrong about Masterpiece and Bulls Eye (also Chris n' Pitts),
>but I trust in repeated patient reports. I trust all info from Don Wiss
>too (he doesn't say much, but he's always right) and he says spices
>don't have MSG. But something in Masterpeice causes a reaction, and
>George Schwartz, M.D., and Russell Blaylock, M.D. list spices as "could
>contain MSG."

I did once, about six years ago, did find someone that cheated and hid HVP
under "spices". It was Durkee chili powder.

>One more good one. Farmland Rice Pilaf says "No MSG added" on the front
>of the package, but the ingredients include autolyzed yeast and natural
>flavors and spices. Does it really have MSG? What does "added" mean? I
>have seen no reactions because I tell patients not to eat it.

"No MSG added" only means no pure MSG added. I'd notify the NOMSG group and
the state attorney general about this one. NOMSG is at 800-232-8674.

Don.