NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:12:44 -0600
: does anyone have any info on ppl who are allergic to milk being able to have
: lactose (as in the sugar)  b/c i was prescribed prednisione and given a brand
: with lactose...evidently ive been taking the same brand the past few times
: with out knowing it..and being that im severly allergic to milk i was
: wondering if its not too lactose also..or maybe they changed their formula in
: the last year

Lactose in medicines is a gray area for milk-allergic people.  It depends on the
purity of the lactose (see previous, very interesting thread concerning lactose
and milk proteins).  And, also on the severity of the milk allergy.  Producing
lactose with zero milk proteins is hard, so it's usually a contamination issue.
Personally, I would avoid a medication with lactose, if there is a lactose-free alternative
available.  Many times, the liquid form does not have lactose, while the pill/chewable
does.  I don't know specifically about prednisione at all...

My daughter was extremely allergic to dairy... and had a mild reaction to lactose
in a homeopathic medicine.  Now, she's much less sensitive to dairy, and I think
she could probably handle lactose in medicines OK.  We've not had any reason to
test it, though!  If the best medicine for the illness/symptom had lactose, I'd
use it, but watch for reactions.  If there was an alternative, I'd use that instead.

Laurie (and Alyssa, 4.75yo, allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts)