NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Birgitte Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 22:28:48 +1000
Hi

My name is Birgitte and I joined the list some monthes ago when we read
about links between casin and autism. We decided to take my daughter
Charlotte, who is five years old and has been diagnosed with autism spectrum
disorder, off all products which contain casin.

Initially, we saw great improvments. Charlotte started making longer
sentenses and she started to use her imagination more in games. After a
while Charlotte seem to regress for no apparent reason. When I look back i
suspect it was because we gave Charlotte more of other products that also
aren't good for her to make up for all the yummi things that she could no
longer have. At this point I decided to take Charlotte to a naturopath
inspite of her pediatic neuroligist having told me that there is no
connection between her diet and her behaviour.

The naturopath did a test where she measured the energy of the food and the
compatibility with the person. It all seemed a bit "out there". I was told
to take Charlotte of dairy, honey, peanuts, sugar, potato, tomato and
eggplant. I know it sounds strange, especially when you have seen the way
they do the testing, but Charlotte is a different child. Suddenly she will
come home from kinder and she will say things like "Daniel and Maria are my
best friends". And when we take her to different playgrounds Charlotte now
finds it much easier to make friends with the other children. The only time
we did't stick to the diet was at Easter, and Charlotte got a temperature
which was just over 40 even after Panadol. Our GP could not find any reason
for the high temperature but I am sure it was her body that could not cope
with the chocolateand the sugar.

I would love to hear if any of you have any simiar experiences - good or
bad.

I have a son Christopher who is now three and a half. He was diagnosed with
dairy, soy, and peanut allergy around the time of his first birthday. I had
long suspected the dairy allergy because when I was feeding him he would get
hives and eczema when I would eat large amounts of dairy, such as cheese
fondu. When Christopher was tested for allergies again about a year ago we
found out he is allergic to egg and chicken as well. It all made sense
because I could never make him eat anything which had egg in it. At the age
of three and a half Christopher is now a very fuzzy eater. His diet consists
of Weat Bix, bananas, bread, avokado, rice cereal, rice milk and pasta. I
cannot make him eat any meat including fish. Do any of you have any great
ideas?

Cheers,

Birgitte

PS: It seems that most of you live in the States. We live in Melbourne
Australia. If anyone knows of anywhere in Australia where I can find a casin
free cheese that I can use for pizza please let me know. . So far I have
only been able to find tofutti's Better than cream cheese.

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get larger attachments -
send/receive up to 2MB attachments (up to 100 percent more per e-mail). Go
to  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au