NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bronwyn Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 02:56:41 +1000
>  Case in point:  even though the cause of ulcers has been known
>  to be caused by heliobacter pylori for years now, doctors are still
 prescribing milk and antacids for ulcers.

Hey! If anyone has questions about this one, let me know! My dad is
the doc who discovered H. pylori. And it is true it took 15 years for
the medical community to accept that it was the cause of ulcers, even
with concrete proof. I still run into people who are maintaining and
treating their ulcers, they don't know it is curable. I find the
whole story very similar to the way doctors had always ignored my
food allergy and said that no one knows the cure of eczema. Not super
relevant, but I thought it might be interesting.

Also, I really like this list. I would get bored if everyone always
agreed and started drooling support for everyone else. Truthfully, I
hate it when anyone tries to give me sympathy for my milk allergy.
They find out I can't eat ____ (chocolate, ice-cream, cheese, fill in
the blank) then they start saying how _____  "terrible that must be"
"how can you possible handle it" (fill in the appropriate cliche". I
don't care at all, it is much better that having a weeping rash all
over my body, and much healthier withouth the desserts and junk food.
I really enjoy the recipes, product information, and especially the
big disagreements on this list. It is practical, very non-fluffy, and
a good read.

-Bronwyn