NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:26:39 -0800
> Marian Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > Laura - Sodium stearoyl lactylate is not a milk (lactose) product - no
problem for you,
> > except for remembering that mouthful (parden the pun). However, sodium
lactylate,
> > lactalbumin, and galactose (a byproduct that may have casein but not
lactose) are not ok.

> I was about to post the same question. I've seen Stearoyl-2-lactylate on
> many bread products and stayed away because of severe LI. Are you
> familiar with this variant?

Stearoyl-2-lactylate is ALSO made from Lactic Acid and Fatty Acids.  Lactic
Acid is sometimes made from whey.  (From "A consumer's Dictionary of Food
Additives" by Ruth Winter, M.S.)
I guess this are the reasons why we get so sick sometimes without having
any idea what caused it.  Unless we only eat fresh foods that we prepare
from scratch ourselves.  Which, to tell you the truth,  is what I'm doing
more and more these days.