NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Margo Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:02:44 -0800
On 06/09/98 at 1:18 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> What are you giving him now (soy formula??) and is it that much more
> expensive than mocha mix?  I'd think a soy formula or follow-up formula
> would be much better for a toddler than mocha mix (which I'm not
> specifically familiar with, but sounds like it would be mostly oil
> and chemicals and not much protein).

Yes, he is getting Carnation Follow-up Soy right now. I did some figuring,
and this is what I came up with costwise:

a can of Carnation formula is $7.79, and lasts 5 days, so that is $1.55 a
day
a half-gallon of Mocha Mix is (at least it was four years ago) 1.99, and
that will last for two days (at his current rate of consumption), so that
is .99 a day

A difference of $17 a month. We have five children so it is important to
keep our expenses down as much as possible, but I would be willing to pay
a little more for something else if Mocha Mix is not nutritionally sound.
Reading the Mocha Mix label, it has a lot of the same things that formula
has in it, but is missing the vitamin enrichment and probably some other
elements. I suppose I shall have to buy a package of it and do a
ingredient comparison.

There is also the convenience of being able to find Mocha Mix at any
store, as opposed to having to drive across town to the Nature's store.

Also, they make an ice cream which is really quite good. Most stores carry
the vanilla flavor only. I have found other flavors, but can't remember
which store.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice you have given me. This list has been a
great help for me.

Margo Mead

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).