NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Walter Trumble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:57:33 GMT
On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:09:49 -0600, you wrote:

>>Hydrolyzed casein (or hydrolyzed anything) always contains MSG.
>
>I found this fascinating.  What does it mean to be hydrolized and what is
>the connection to MSG?

Hydrolyzed is a chemical process in which the decomposition of a compound is
brought about by water. There is no connection to MSG, other than the fact that
MSG "could be a by-product of the process", and companies often put it in
products WITHOUT placing it on the label! MSG is found in everything from
Campbells soup to some fruit juices.

>Is there any way to find out about other terms like "hydrolized" which are
>so vague that the general public would never know what it means.  Things
>like "processed food starch," etc., etc, etc.  I would love to know what I
>am really eating.  This is why my family eats "very" little processed food.

There is a VERY good book named "A consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives" by
Ruth Winter, M.S., Published by Crown Trade Paperbacks, NY

It is a must have if you are concerned about food additives, written in layman
terms it lists ALL the crap that suppliers feel they must put in food. It is a
very,VERY good idea to stay as far away from processed food as you can.....

Walt
Bulk Herbs at discount pricing and a Discount Vegetarian Book Store with over 300 Vegetarian books on life style and cooking!
www.goldfever.com/fatbrat/