NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:34:53 -0500
> I know that casein is a protein in cow's milk.  Is it also a protein
> in goat's milk?  I recently found out that I was allergic to casein.
> I'd like to know if I could substitute goat's milk cheeses for cow's
> milk cheeses.

Yes, all mammals' milks contain casein, although there are actually
several varieties, and each kind of milk contains more than one
variety.  Most people allergic to cow casein are also allergic to goat
casein though (they may be the same, I'm not sure).  However, human
milk also contains casein, but most cow- and goat-casein-allergic
infants are not allergic to human caseins.

But in general you are not likely to be able to safely substitute
goat's cheeses for cow's milk cheeses ;-(

Sorry,
--Robyn