NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellyn Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:51:25 -0400
Waffles:  I buy LifeStream waffles. A little pricey, but they're dairy-free
and decent tasting. Don't know where you're located, but here's their
website: http://www.naturespath.com/asp/products.asp   In the Philadelphia
area,
Genuardi's, Whole Foods and some independent health food stores have them.

Chinese Food: In the US (the Northeast, anyway) General Tso's Chicken (and
most other dishes) *generally * do not contain dairy, although I always ask
when going to a new restaurant. My husband and I both have different levels
of "dairy issues."

I found, unfortunately, that this is not the case in Toronto, where we
ordered General Tso's and it was served with these luscious fried things on
the side that were kind of the consistency of a marshmallow with a crispy
batter coating. My husband and I each ate two or three, made yummy noises
then called over our waiter to find our what this was. "Fried milk, cream
and flour!" he replied. We quickly paid the bill and drove back to our
hotel very,
very fast.

Junk Food: If you can find a kosher market or even the kosher section of a
supermarkert
There's parve chocolate, ice cream, cookies, candy...everything!   I live
right outside Philadelphia and the supermarkets have started to add large
kosher sections within the market. We recently discovered parve Cheese
Doodle-ish puffs that were pretty good, but it's been so long since we've
had the real thing, we've lowered our standards. If anyone lives near the
ShopRite in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, there's a Kosher Experience
store-within-the-store and there's more "safe" junk food in there than you
could dream of! There's good food there, too, of course, but you actually
have a choice of brands of dairy-free ice cream!