NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:12:21 -0700
> When I make mashed potatoes using both soya margarine and soya milk I
> get a horrible feeling of bloating/indigestion.

There's a couple of things that might be going on, based on this one example.
One, might be a cumulative effect from soy, such that you get symptoms from
too much, but a little bit is OK.  My daughter can have soy about once a week
(as in tofu, soy yogurt), more than that and she has an excema flare-up for
a few days.

The other thing might be a fairly strong soy-protein allergy, such that
any amount of soy protein causes symptoms, but the soy margarine is primarily
soy oil (and maybe lecithin), and so it's OK by itself.

You'll need to keep track of what other soy products cause problems, to
isolate what's going on.  Testing is only part of the picture in finding
symptoms and reactions, so you might be soy allergic/intolerant even
with a negative test.

The suggestion of whey in the margarine is also a good one - Alyssa can't
tolerate any of that, being very milk-allergic.  We use a safflower based
margarine that does not contain dairy, but does have soy lecithin (and maybe
soy oil).

Laurie (and Alyssa, allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts, and mildly to soy)