NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 22:40:57 -0600
Hazel and Ray Green wrote:

> As of yet I have not come across poultry, tuna or salmon with milk.

I'm surprised!  Here in the States I find it all the time.

Poultry, especially those big beautiful Butterball or Norbest or Perdue
turkey sold for holiday dinners.  The frozen and fresh are both injected
with butter, sodium nitrates, soy products and many other 'flavorful'
ingredients.   -HA- are they trying to admit their raised in a cage in a
factory birds don't taste good?  I have found the Jennie-O Naturals are
okay, as are free range birds bought at the local butcher or Whole Foods
stores.  Be sure to specify at the butcher!

Many canned tuna and salmon products have recently started adding milk
to their products.  Be especially careful to watch for the OU (U in a
circle) without the D next to it.  If the D is next to it, it has dairy.

The one item I am surprised isn't on that list of strange places to look
is in maple syrup (real or flavored).  Whey is usually added to real
100% maple syrup to stop the foaming action during boiling it down, and
then the scum is scooped off, but some protein will always remain.
Hungry Jack brand is pareveunlike most other store brands and very few
100% brands are.  It seems strange not to be able to buy 100% maple
syrup, but I haven't found one yet that can guarantee no whey was used
or was marked pareve.

--
Kathy Wentz                        unschooler, n. one who never swims
[log in to unmask]                   with the crowd