NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 13:16:23 -0500
>Could be your child is not allegic to milk, but actually lactose
>intolerant? I have had this condition since birth and am in my forties.
>Initially the doctors told my folks that I would "outgrow" my reaction
>to milk.
>Lactose intolerance is often confused with "milk allergy" but it is not
>an allergy.... I remember as a kindergartener I got "stomach aches"
>every afternoon at the same time.  They were from drinking the milk that
>was forced upon me in class, but I'm sure that the teacher and the
>school nurse thought that there was some deep psychological problem
>involved.
        Not to take away from your point...because you are absolutely right,
many times lactose intolerance (sugars) and dairy allergy (proteins) are
often confused.  I too reacted to milk since childhood and was incorrectly
told I would out grow it.  In elementary school I would suffer horrible
tummy aches after drinking milk too.  The school, my doctors and therefore
my parents--did think it was all in my head too.  The difference ends there,
however.
        The rest of the story was I would go home and some time, usually in
the middle of the night, I would wake up while in the process of projectile
vomiting (the "delayed" reaction).  My poor parents!  They went through so
many nights of little to no sleep just because no one figured out I was
allergic to dairy proteins.  Because of this ignorance, I continued to
consume dairy products long into my 20's and now I react very quickly.  For
example, I didn't know Burger King was coating their french fries with
gluten and dairy based products.  I don't eat fast food generally, but I did
have french fries one day while a friend of mine ate his lunch there.  A few
fries and my skin started itching like crazy (and within 15 minutes I had a
major rash going on).  I stopped eating the fries immediately and then found
out about their "tiny" coating process!
        Anyway, the point is of course, that it is important to figure out
if the child/adult is reacting to the sugars or the proteins--because in the
long run it can make a huge difference.  If the child is allergic to dairy
proteins, it is better to know early on and avoid all dairy proteins so that
the allergic response does not get worse over time.  Now if I try to "sneak"
even a small piece of cheese (the size of my smallest finger tip, for
example) I would end up in the emergency room--not worth it!  And I
sincerely hope that no one else's child will ever have to suffer a similar
fate out of ignorance!