NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:54:37 -0400
(continued from previous post)

Fortunately, the server asked if everything looked OK when she stopped by to
tell me she'd bring my (yes, out-of-season) fruit later. I explained about
the previous arrangements, and she hurried back to the kitchen to come out
with at least a different meat dish to replace the chicken-jerky. She also
explained that the chef who had spoken with me before had left that
afternoon to tend to an unexpected family emergency, and all the information
the replacement chef had received was, "dairy allergy." This chef had also
put cheese in the eggplant that was being served to everyone else--contrary
to what had been planned--so I could no longer have it.

I still had a great time at the event, and with the replacement I was at
least able to eat a little. But I have to wonder about that generic meal!

Admittedly, it's very low-fat, contains none of the eight most common food
allergens, is both kosher and halal, is easily balanced for a diabetic,
starts with no added salt, and can be made quickly in case advance
preparations weren't in place. But, it's also really boring and tasteless!

Does anyone really want to eat that? Why are so many professional chefs
willing to send out such plates?

I'm not diabetic, Jewish, or Moslem. I don't need to restrict fat or salt
any more than anyone else does. And fortunately, I'm only allergic to
dairy--so it's really not that difficult to come up with good grown-up food
I'll enjoy.

So have others here been faced with that same grilled chicken/plain green
beans/plain potato meal sandwiched between a bit of salad and hothouse
honeydew at other conventions, organizational dinners, and similar events?

How do you handle it, if you attend such events at all regularly? What are
your thoughts?

Just curious,

Weavre Cooper