NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mejia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:45:07 -0400
Well, Isabel has had a terrible week again, up throwing up 5 out of the last
7 days. We have not had a bout like this in a long time. I am at a loss as
to what started it last Monday, but she was up very, very sick.
Then again Tuesday, which many times is just because she is in a reaction
state, not because she has consumed more dairy.
Then Thursday I know everything she ate and the only thing I am suspious
about is the White Wave soy yogurt that she had. So I called the company,
they took the lot numbers and reran some tests to check for dairy down to
parts/million. They say no dairy present. However, they did tell me that the
plant does run regular dairy through the same machines and is suppose to do
a sterilization before and after the soy yogurt and check for dairy
contamination.  I don't think Isabel has had problems with it before, but I
think this time it was the yogurt.
Then Saturday, she had pepperoni, big mistake, the only thing on the label
that I suspect is 'lactic acid starter culture'. Nothing else she ate that
day could have been the problem.
Then last night again up sick. The suspect - Turkey meat that has 'sodium
lactate' it was also cut at the Meijer deli and pre-packaged for sale. I
should have known better.
Today I started to prepare some frozen ground turkey, but decided to check
the label. The label had no ingredients list at all, but the nutrition chart
says it contains 2% calcium. So I called the company, Kraft (the turkey is
Lois Rich 100% turkey), first they say that all the ingredients are clearly
listed on the label. When I tell her that there is no ingredients list, she
puts me on hold forever and then comes back to say that it doesn't have an
ingredients list because it is 100% turkey. Then I say okay, so where does
the 2% calcium come from? As far as I know turkey is not a known calcium
source? She has to have someone get back to me on that question.
I happen to have another brand of turkey sausage, Jennie-O, I checked and
that nutrition label does not list calcium. I called them as well, and the
operator said that they do not hide dairy by listing just flavorings, they
list is out plainly if it has it, and none of their turkey has dairy.
I have started a food diary again for Isabel, every morsel that goes in, is
being recorded. Hidden dairy is a real nightmare!!
I will let everyone know if Lois Rich ever gets back to me, but I am not
using it to be on the safe side.
I have the dairy source list from this email group printed and hanging on my
refrig. but it doesn't list:
'lactic acid starter culture' or 'sodium lactate'  as things to watch out
for. Does anyone know if these are dairy derived?
(Just how far will a parent go to protect their child? I was out on Friday
morning, digging through the week's worth of garbage before the garbage
truck came, looking for all the yogurt lids/containers to report the problem
to White Wave! Yuck!! White Wave by the way is very serious about responding
to questions and concerns, the best I have found to date.)

Frustrated in Michigan,
Cindy and Isabel