NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:11:13 -0700
I have had bad luck with using oil as a substitute for butter. On the other
hand, margarine works for me on a 1:1 replacement for butter. Oil's cooking
properties are just too different. My forte is desserts and all that I have
tried will not accept the substitution. Cookies and brownies are the
absolute worst in this regard. I would suggest vegetable shortening or lard
as a much more suitable ingredient if you don't want to use margarine. I
know they clog the arteries but if you are that concerned by health issues,
then you shouldn't be making the cookies or brownies <g>.

I found that you need to add more eggs, for example, to keep the oil in
some kind of suspension. Otherwise the cooked dessert just slimed its way
out of the pan!

Don M