NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
rene spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:20:19 +0000
Our middle daughter allergy tests came back negative to any foods, but we
have noticed the following:  When she has any dairy, she is not only
constipated (going only every 5-6 days), but has extreme behavior issues,
such as screaming, kicking, punching during out-of-control temper tantrums
that are repeated throughout the day, dark under-eye circles, "brain fog",
poor speeck (almost impossible to understand), lack of energy, stuffed up
nose, throat clearing.  I realize that these point to an intolerance, but I
find these symptoms interesting.  My point in sharing this is that after
being off of all dairy, we have our sweet, compliant daughter back.  I was
beginning to wonder what kind of a child we had!  I've been wondering about
this "dairy issue" for her for a long time, but couldn't convince anyone of
the validity of it until recently, when the tantrums have become more
frequent and severe.  She actually had one when my mother was around.  I do
believe that we have some believers now that they are able to see the
difference in her demeanor and physical symptoms.

Her younger sister is anaphylactic to dairy products.  We had to use her
epi-pen last night and make a trek to an area hospital, where we never got
to see a doctor.  We finally left after 4 hours.  As soon as she took a bite
or two of the sliced turkey, she told me that she didn't like the turkey and
that it tasted yucky.  (She's three.) Her symptoms were instant and severe:
stomach cramping, difficulty breathing, drooling, facial swelling, hives,
inconsolable crying.  When she breaks out in hives from contact the hives
are usually pretty immediately visible.  This time, though, the hives were
delayed a bit.  (Perhaps because other systems were more immediately
affected?)