NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeny Walker-Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 00:15:52 -0500
Lisa,
GO GIRL!  We're proud of you.  Searching for connections between food and
behavior is frustrating and a not-appreciated-by-conventional-people route
to take.  My daughter was on Ritalin, had great success with it yet we have
eliminated it as of three (or four) weeks ago.  There's just got to be a
better solution than giving her a drug everyday!  We've added
SuperBlueGreenAlgae, pycnogenol and some herbs to her/our diet and
eliminated dairy, yeast, wheat, corn, peanuts, nuts, citrus, and everything
else that used to taste wonderful to us (just joking).  Someone at the ND's
said it seems like if it tastes good you need to spit it out!  So far we've
had wonderful results!  She's in a special ed school with a 1:4 ratio; the
teacher's have almost been looking for her to backslide but she hasn't so
far!  Keep her in your daily thoughts please!

I wholeheartedly agree with what Janine said re support (As usual.  What a
nice additon you are to this list girlfriend!).  There's lots of support
here.  There's an herbal ng where I get alot of info + an ADD ng where there
are a few anti conventional treatment folks.  Let me know if you want the
names.  Other ideas for support and info: homeopath, naturopath or
nutritionist.  Finally, I'll suggest my usual: Skye Weintraub's book:
Natural Treatments for ADD and Hyperactivity.  Altho she doesn't supply tons
of in-depth info she does give a broad view and wonderful explanations.

Helen,
We've just started using Brewer's Yeast.  I'd had it on popcorn before
(yummy!).  Now we use it like we would parmesean (sprinkle) cheese- on
spaghetti, in soup, on salads, etc.  The lady at the health food store
suggested wwe try the nuggets; it's in smaller pieces than the regular.
I've also started using it as a spice; we are big snackers, so I've been
making gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. "party" mix with Kalmut o's, rice
crackers, pumpkin seeds, nuts, etc. with brewer's yeast and Liquid Aminoes
(LA).  LA is like soy sauce (which has wheat) and worcesteshire combined.
It's a great addition to our limited repoitre!  We have found that all of
the cheese substitutes are gross in one way or the other, so we just quit
trying.  Cheese is the main thing we miss now.  8o(

Keep up the good work everybody.
Jeny