NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:03:09 -0600
>I don't believe this is true because my daugher tested highest
>to milk casein, but Nutramigen doesn't bother her.  I questioned
>it at first, but did some research and I don't think the casein is
>from milk.
>
>--
>Shelly Sumearll

There is no such thing as casein which does not come from milk.  I have
been through this whole issue with a chemist.  Casein is a MILK derivative.

>Soy has more protein than rice milk.  Edensoy soy milk has 10 grams per 8 oz.
>verse rice milk which only has 1 gram per oz.  That is why so many dieticans
>recommend looking at soy as an alternative source of protein.  However, soy is
>also one of the top 10 allergens.

Although soy is one of the top allergens, if a child has no allergy to it,
it does seem to build up a child better than rice.  Also, wheat and rice
(which are "heavier" grains build up better than lighter grains such as
barley, millet, corn.

Rachele Shaw