NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen E Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 1997 00:55:28 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Scott & Deb
Millard <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I just wondered how you all handle this emotionally. I mean it makes me
>really mad, it seems really unfair, and I keep denying that it's really
>true.  I don't want this, and I keep thinking if I wish it away hard
>enough, maybe it won't be true anymore.  I know I can live a pretty
>normal life without these foods, lots of people including you all do
>it.  But I never read much on this group about the emotional side of all
>this.  Being different and not being able to just eat something out or
>go to someone's house without a big hassle.  How do you adjust?  Any
>words from the wise and experienced for a newbie?

I get mad, too. A gastroenterologist once told me that around 15% of
white Caucasians are lactose intolerant to some degree, and among other
racial types, the percentage is even higher. That seems like more people
than are vegetarian, but we don't get nearly as good a deal from
restaraunts as the veggies do. If I go to a friend's house, I often take
my dairy-free sunflower margarine and my soya milk with me, but I have
to admit that since I discovered that I had a problem with dairy
products, eggs and pork/ham/bacon that I have taken to eating out only
rarely. When I do eat out, I prefer Chinese or Indian. You have to check
for eggs and pork at the Chinese, and you have to check for dairy
products at the Indian, but they can usually provide something suitable.
--
Helen E Stephenson      <[log in to unmask]>
                        http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk