NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 17:12:00 -0600
>Is there a good soy or milk replacer that doesn't have gluten >contaminants
or carageenan?

Maria,

Have you thought of making your own substitutes so you can control the
ingredients?  I have some "starting" suggestions on my web site that include
a variety of sources to make milk substitutes from (tofu, soy beans,
veggies, nuts) that you may be interested in trying.

http://agape.doit.wisc.edu/dmh/vegan/milk.htm

Beyond that I just wanted to share a bit of my own experience (I too am
multi protein allergic but in my case gluten is one of the few things I can
digest..for me all animal source proteins are out). I have found things that
I wouldn't even "think of" for substitutions work wonderful. Take baking for
example: apple juice is a wonderful measure for measure replacement for
milk...and I've replaced the butter (or other large sources of fat) with 1/2
measure canola oil and 1/2 measure apple sauce...works well! Never miss the
milk. I especially like doing this in quick breads and also things like
homemade pancakes and waffles.  For pasts "white" sauce I've even tried
lemon juice, olive oil, dash of white vinegar and arrowroot...which when
spiced (to my taste buds: salt, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes and basil
work nicely together) make a better white sauce than the old "milk" based
version..and probably a whole lot healthier! :)

Hope you can find something that works for you. Good luck and let us know if
you discover anything new and wonderful along the way...

Smiles,
Dawn
:) :) :)