NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Max Desorgher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 22:06:36 +-100
Sorry about the garbage that came through with my last post.
I hope this comes through better. Max

Hi Banshee, you wrote:

>I have noticed that there seems to be a concern with emotional effects
>of eating dairy and or wheat products.  Yes this does and can happen.
>For me personally I was severly depressed and was being called bi polar
>and scito by srinks.

I'm glad you brought up this subject. I'm sure there are many people
with depressive/psychological illnesses that could benefit from some diet
changes! Right here in Holland, there were some experiments done
many years ago in a mental hospital with dietery intervention (I think
gluten and milk-free), but these were never followed up. I suffered
from depression for nearly 20 years, before I changed my diet.
I never went to any 'shrinks', but I certainly thought I was crazy!!!

> I have sever allegeries (as i like to call it) to
> wheat dairy and corn products.  I can NOT eat any of the above products
> which makes my diet very hard to follow,  I also stay away from yeast
> but am not to sure if it has the effects that the other 3 items do or
> not.

My dietary restrictions are so many! I can't eat gluten, dairy, corn,
egg yolks, soy, most beans, most fish, and many sorts of fruit and vegetables.
People ask me how I do it, but the diet I am on (called Sara's Diet) is
properly balanced to contain all nutrients, plus important supplements
like pancreatic enzymes. There are always foods that I can eat to replace
those I can't. I only have trouble finding commercial gluten-free/dairy-free
products that i can use, because most contain soy and/or corn. The milk
supplement I use is called DariFree, and is potato-based.

>  In my personal case my whole intire body starts to shut down when
> i eat these products for a while.

I have to lie in bed from 12 hours to 3 days, depending on the severity,
while my body tries to remove the offending substances. The
reactions are: shaking, nausea, distorted hearing, vision and mental processes,
withdrawal (curling up in a ball and not moving for hours). It is an allergic
reaction, not an emotional/psychological illness as you rightly state.

There is not much literature on these sorts of reactions, but the work
now being done on autism will, I believe, lead to the understanding of how
diet can help in other ways.

Max