NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 02:24:02 -0700
Not only that, but packing your own lunch would be recommended since a vast amount of the food made in the schools contains dairy. Sue

Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Hi --

High school may not be much different from middle school, depending upon your district. Here's the short list:

Dangers:

LUNCH. How have you dealt with this in the past? Is the HS environment different from the MS environment? How?

ART. Do they use casein-based paints?

Does your son carry an epi-pen? Have you sat down to discuss his situation with the school nurse? Has a note gone out to each individual teacher explaining the existence of the allergy, symptoms to be alert for, and actions to take in case symptoms appear?

I think that covers the high points. DO make sure everyone is alert to the issue on day one, and go over all emergency plans with your son himself before he sets off for school.

Hope he has a great school year,
--Beth Kevles
Eating without Casein web site
web.mit.edu/kevles/nomilk.html

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. Discuss all medical concerns with your physician.