NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:25:44 -0400
>On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:21:51 -0600 Kelly Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
>writes:
>> Is scratch testing that bad?  Is it worth it?
>
>It depends on the person doing the testing.  Our daughter had some prick
>tests done at about 13 months.  They used a grid of plastic things that
>held the allergens and scratched the skin.

That's called a "multi-tester".

> It was done in two blocks and
>she barely fussed.  Quick and done.  However, she reacted to NOTHING!
>Except the control for histamine.  This even though we know by
>eliminations and challenges that she is allergic to dairy, chocolate, and
>corn (at least).  She also seems to be developing nasal allergies which
>did not show up (yet).
>
>What our allergist told us was that it was a good thing that she did not
>show positives to the foods because that means she probably will not have
>any type of serious reactions.

Not entirely true. It is still possible to have severe, lifethreatening
reactions, even if the child tests negative. It happened to our son.

> It also gives her the best odds on
>"outgrowing" the allergies.  As for the inhaled, they usually don't show
>up as early as 1 year, but anything is possible.  They usually develop
>between the ages of 1 and 3.
>
>Personally, I think allergy tests are subjective.  I get a delayed and
>very mild reaction to molds, but know they cause me great problems.
>Allergy testing is only one part of the puzzle and may give some clues.
>My personal opinion is to not rely too heavily on them.  If you can
>identify things other ways, that's probably more accurate.  Just my
>opinion and experience.

Let's call them an added piece of data in the complex search for answers.
And, as with most situations, some of the data is "spurious" - over time
and with experience, you find out what is valid.

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120