NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:21:35 -0700
>Has anyone else read that TUMS aren't very good for calcium supplementation?
>I know I've read somewhere that due to the fact that TUMS is an antacid it
>hinders the calcium in it from being utilized?  Anybody else read this?

Adelle Davis, in her book Let's Get Well (1965) says, 'I once heard a
doctor lecturing on nutrition, state that the hydrochloric acid of the
stomach was so valuable that the sale of every antacid preparation should
be prohibited by law.'
'Taking antacid tablets and alkalizers that are said to cost Americans 90
million dollars per year- or baking soda neutralizes the valuable stomach
acid, interferes with digestion, decreases mineral absorption, causes
vitamins to be destroyed, and can even harm the kidneys; thus temporary
relief may cause permanent damage.'