NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 15:45:45 -0500
hi....i sure wish i'd known about this list 2+ years ago when my daughter was 1st diagnosed w/ severe dairy allergy. i'm hoping, tho, that someone might have some suggestions about what's going on w/ her now.....  (sorry for the length!)

....dana was dx around 11 mos (skin test & rast). she's now 3. skin test last nov. was still mildly positive, tho cap rast was below 7 & "normal." about 6 weeks ago, we tried big dairy challenge; about 12 oz skim REAL milk, some ice cream, ranch dip, dairy cheese...no symptoms except maybe a loose-ish stool. next day, pizza & ice cream. no problems, no complaints. ate some (few oz max) a few times within a couple of days of that ¯ no obvious complaints but stopped dead in tracks & proclaimed she didn't like it anymore. the next week, some vomiting off/on but she may've been fighting stomach bug. stopped all dairy. week later, she was better, tried milk at day care; fine drinking a few ounces in the morning, but vomited after bit of milk in cereal in afternoon. vomited after a few sips a few days after that. now, (about 6 weeks since dairy challenge), vomited within 20 minutes or so of ingesting approx 2 teaspoons of frozen yogurt. she's been fine though with bread & cereals & microwave popcorn that list whey or other milk products in the ingredients, & with eating toast w/ blue-bonnet margarine..... (she's been on maintenance amoxicillan thru all this for ear infections, too)

SO....allergist says it's absolutely not an allergic reaction. we have an appointment w/ a pediatric gastroenterologist in a month. does anyone have an ideas or experience w/ symptoms like these??

THANKS!!....marla (dana's mom)

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Georgia State University