NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:35:01 -0800
This one was a hit with my 2 year old on her birthday cake tonight!  She
does not really have a sweet tooth, but ate a good sized piece.  Sticking
her fingers in the icing was a big hit!  Regular powdered sugar icings
are a problem because powdered sugar is usually cut with cornstarch.
This is a lot of hydrogenated fats, but, hey, it's her birthday.  This
was always my favorite frosting, so I decided to experiment with making
it non-dairy.  I put it on a lemon cake and decorated it with strips of
lemon zest and strawberry fans - very fancy looking!  This makes a great
birthday cake frosting and layer cake filling.  It's an especially great
frosting for those who are not artistically inclined enough to write on
and decorate a birthday cake :-)  It's light and fluffy and looks great
decorated with just sprinkles or maybe a dusting of cocoa.  It's really
great with a dark chocolate cake.  It's not overly sweet and is nice and
messy!  It tastes kind of like Cool Whip and has about the same
consistency.  I just replaced the butter and milk in the original recipe
with stick margarine and soy milk.  I used Trader Joe's Original flavor
SoyUm which is pretty mild tasting.  I couldn't even taste the
difference.  Keep the prepared cake in the fridge so that the frosting
stays set.  Remove to room temp 30 minutes before serving.  Be careful
not to get any flour lump in this or the texture will be unappealing.
Strain the flour mixture through a fine mesh if necessary.  I do this
before I cook it if I see any lumps I can't whisk out.  This can be
frozen, but should be defrosted slowly and rewhipped prior to using as it
has a tendency to separate.  It looks like it takes a lot of work, but
really doesn't.  Definitely worth the time anyway!

Whipped Cream Frosting

4 tbsp flour
1 cup soy milk
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt

Mix flour and soy milk in saucepan making sure it has a very smooth
consistency.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Put in bowl and cool completely.  Cream margarine and shortening about 4
minutes.  Add sugar gradually and beat another 4 minutes.  Add flour
paste and beat another 4 minutes.  Add vanilla and salt and blend.  Makes
enough for a fill and frost a 9" layer cake, one large cake, or one batch
of cupcakes.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]