NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Balbirnie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:44:44 -0500
Lactose is a milk sugar.  Lactose free cow's milk is Milk (dairy) with an enzyme added so that people who are sensitive to lactose and have trouble digesting it can tolerate milk.  Soy Milk is made from Soybeans.  You need to be careful of the flavored versions  I.e. Chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla.... they are High in sugar (higher than most 100% juices) We have those as a treat and try to use Silk Plain or Unsweetened.  When we switched over to those last year after a visit to our dentists my boys told me they liked the taste 100% better.... I tried it and they are right.  I actually drink it now and use it on my cereal.... I cannot lie though 8th continent chocolate soy milk is BETTER than Hershey's any day!!!

FYI My boys are anaphylactic to Milk protein however, there have been occasions they ingested lactose (by accident) usually as a binder in a medication .... and they have absolutely NO REACTION to milk sugar.
Beth