NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Darlene Vanasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:17:13 -0800
Food allergies are complicated. My son is anaphylactic to multiple foods, and also tests positive to other foods he can tolerate. His reactions have ranged from mild symptoms to 911 calls.

The Mt. Sinai food allergy (Hugh Sampson) clinic in NYC has developed a system of predictibility of reactions using the Immunocap test for egg, peanut and milk. My son just completed a double blind egg challenge there (which unfortunately he did not pass).

His numbers on a RAST Immunocap were in the 2's - low enough to challenge. However, his skin prick test showed a hive that met the size of the control histimine hive, which brought his chances to 50/50. We went ahead anyway, hoping...

The bottomline is that the autoimmune system is still a mystery and we are still treating symptoms, SO...carry the Epi and Benedryl everywhere, ask lots of questions, take calculated risks, and get to know your body very well.

My .02

-Darlene