NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:14:54 -0500
My daughter's pediatrician gave instructions for her daycare center to use it on her
if she ingested any milk at all.  We talked about if this was really necessary.  He felt
it was better for them to give her the adrenaline than to try to decide if she needed it
and make a bad decision. (I am only supposed to give it if I see signs of anaphylaxis.)

This summer she did get someones Oatmeal that had formula in it in daycare.
 When they tried to
administer the pen, the infant care director ended up poking it into her finger.
Luckily Jessica only had a small amount of milk and the firehouse was 1 mile away.  She
ended up falling asleep on the way to the hospital and was fine.

The paramedics and emergency room doctors said that it is common for people to end
up with the epi-pens in their fingers.  We now have two epi-pen jrs at the daycare center
and the paramedics came back to the daycare center for training session several weeks
later.  They also left a hazardous waste container for the daycare center to put
used pens in.

I feel very lucky that Jessica didn't have enough milk that day to cause anything but
a little wheezing and a rash on her face.  Hopefully, it won't happen again but if it
does at least I know they are better prepared to deal with it at daycare.