NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:53:46 -0800
> This is interesting that you write this because I didn't contribute my
> problem with fat and oils with my lactose intollerant problem.  Is this a
> common problem among others who are lactose intollerant?

Hi, Yes I also have intolerance to some fats, not all of them, besides my
lactose/casein intolerance.  It has been very hard for me to find out which
are the ones.  For example, fried food, is a killer.  French fries I can
eat 2-4 only if they are from a good source like "In and Out." Yum...!! :-)
 At home I have a better time with it.  I use safflower or that new mix of
"better oils."  The fact is, I can eat a lot more fried food if from home.
I love doughnuts, and there is only one place in my area that I know it
won't send me rushing to the W.C.
The other fats, like margarine, or even butter, don't bother me.  I say to
watch out also for "Sorbitol."  A lot of stuff has it in the ingredients,
including some medications.  It is a laxative, so it will give diarrhea
even in minuscule amounts to people with such sensitive guts like myself
and most of the folks here.  Whatch out for Sorbitol especially in candies
and chewing gum.  There is a so called "chewing gum diarrhea" that people
talk about.  It is the "sugar free" gum, that has Sorbital in it instead.
Almost forgot.  Glicerin is added also to some candies, cakes and such.
Also a laxative.  Beware!
Best wishes.
Chao,
Monica