NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Dankowych <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 00:30:20 -0500
Hello to all,

This message did not seem to get through yesterday:

TERESA BARNES wrote:

My daughter cannot have casein.  Her doctor says she can have a little
butter as that is almost all fat and would only have a trace amount of
casein if any.  I'm reluctant to feed her it, but would like to just for
convenience sake.  Any of you know about this or feed your
casein-intolerant child butter with no problems?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Our daughter is also intolerant to casein. Over the past winter we have
been making our own clarified butter. (The stuff you can buy smells
awful).
She does not seem to be reacting to it in the way she does to milk. We
will be testing her for casein anti-bodies in the next few months to see
if any casein is getting through. To make clarified butter we melt
it on low heat, let it cool down, carefully remove every bit of curd and
scum that comes to the top and then decant the butterfat, i.e., leave
the stuff that separates out at the bottom. Pour this into a plastic
container, seal and refrigerate. The product looks and tastes like
butter. It works well in cookies, tortes, etc. We do not have any data
on the casein content of clarified butter. I did some searching on the
Web but could not find anything. Does anyone have any such data? You
should
seek medical advice as to whether trying this would be advisable in your
own case.

Regards,

John Dankowych : [log in to unmask]