NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 11:11:01 -0600
>Hi Everyone.
>We made a wonderful soup tonight that called for cream.  Anyone have luck with
>non-dairy Rice Dream or Soy Milk in soup?  Or something else?   The mashed
>potatoes worked well last week in Chili but wondering for this potato, onion,
>bullion soup what we could of used.
>
>------------------------------

We use soymilk as a replacement for everything that calls for milk and it
works fine.  I make "cream" soups, etc. all the time.  Just tart with a
basic white sauce using soymilk instead of milk and it works every time.

For a cream substitute I take the soymilk and add powdered soymilk
(Solait).  It makes it thick and like cream.  I use this with a couple of
drops of lemon in it to replace yogurt.  I add a little oil to it to make
sauces and my son really likes it.

Personally I don't agree with just cutting out substitutions like this as
someone suggested.  Unless people are also allergic to soy these
substitutions are great, work fine with soymilk, and are very nutritious.

Rachele Shaw