NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Scott/Debbie Kempf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:26:37 -0500
> > Does anyoen have any experience with this - a skin test coming
> > back negative and the allergist saying "OK, give her milk"????
-------------------
On Monday my 6 yr old daughter had an oral dairy challenge since her
skin test wheal has been getting smaller upon each successive test over
the years. During the test, she complained immediately about an itchy
palate and nausea, but since these aren't things a doctor can
objectively SEE or HEAR, the allergist told us at the end of one and
one-half hours that she was negative for a dairy allergy and her
supposed symptoms were probably psychosomatic since she had been told
for 6 years not to have dairy and now she had to drink 3 ounces of milk.
The flushing on her cheeks he suggested was due to being cooped up in an
examining room for 2 hours. He wasn't able to notice the slight swelling
in her face that my husband and I could see.He suggested that we pay our
bill and go out for pizza. We made it as far as the parking lot when
Colleen threw up.  I went back in to tell them while my husband tended
to her. The staff had me rush her back in and they treated it as a
full-blown emergency with an injection of epinephrine, oral steroids and
Benadryl and then observed her for another hour. She was sent home with
more steroids and Benadryl. Her blood pressure nad heart rate never
changed and there was no observable bronchial involvement. Now the
allergist's advice is anytime her reaction proceeds beyond her mouth or
skin (e.g., vomitting) we are to inject her with the EpiPen.  I know
this is the advice any allergist will probably give to us, but I've lost
confidence in the allergist. He is a pediatric allergist and is one of
the experts consulted by the Philadelphia media whenever they need an
opinion on food allergies, but I think we're heading to Johns Hopkins
for our next appointment. Any one have any experiences at Johns
Hopkins--good or bad?   Any one else have delayed (almost 2 hours after
ingestion) serious reactions to dairy? The allergist said Colleen is
falling out of the norm because she doesn't have observable symptoms
within an hour and a half.   I caution everyone not to reintroduce dairy
without nearby medical assistance and make sure your child is observed
for several hours after ingestion. Debbie