NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg Epler Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:17:22 -0500
Dear No-Milk Reader,

As one who can tolerate caseine only in small doses, and who loves the
taste of butter in cooking, I'd like to know if you have had any success
in using clarified butter in recipes.  I have always assumed that
clarification, in removing the solids, removes most, if not all, of the
offending proteins, leaving behind the flavored oils.  (I've had real
buttered popcorn in theaters with no ill effects--seeing they used
clarified butter, I thought I'd take a chance.)

But what does this do with its cooking characteristics in baking,
frying, etc.?  I've never really taken the time to experiment.

Greg
Burlington, Vermont
(Cheese country!)