NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:59:31 EDT
I would suggest getting two useful publications from the food allergy
network, www.foodallergy.org
One is Off to school with food allergies, what do the laws say?  and another
is a handbook sort of thing with a teacher and parent's guide.   I found them
to be very useful in setting up an acceptable plan.

For me, it wasn't as critical a concern about the Epi being on her person so
much as the availability of trained personnel to make a quick assessment and
administer it when necessary.  I don't think waiting an extra year for her to
mature is going to help except that it may allow her to be more mature in
refusing foods and risky situations regarding foods in schools.  Some adult
is going to have to do the injecting until she is much more mature to deal
with that on her own.

I have not required my son to carry around an Epi-pen every day (he is in
second grade now).  I have not done so because a) there is a school nurse on
the premises five days a week and b) his classroom and play area is near the
nurses' office.  If the physical proximity of the classrooms is too far away
from where the Epi will be stored then I can see why you would want that Epi
with her at all times.

I think if you pursue a 504 plan with your daughter that you will be able to
"push" to have the bus drivers trained to administer the Epi-pen in an
emergency.  If your daughter's doctor believes she should have it on her
person at all times and the school refuses to do so, then they need to figure
out another acceptable way to make sure that Epi accompanies her everywhere
she goes.  Similar types of arrangements are made for kids needing to carry
around asthma inhalers.  If the school refuses to allow her to carry it
around herself, then that might mean that all teachers, staff and other
personnel will have to carry it around at all times with them instead of your
daughter.

I don't know if you have already looked it over, but I posted my son's school
plan on the No-Milk archives a couple of years ago.
http://www.panix.com/~nomilk/emerplan.txt

It doesn't address the Epi issue per se but it does serve as an example of
what kind of written plan can be developed to protect your daughter at
school.  It is not a perfect plan (and his current plan is slightly different
than the one of the No Milk Archives) but if you have no where else to start
you might want to just look it over to see what kind of work you have ahead
of you in planning for her to enter school with a milk allergy.  I know I was
scared to death to send him off to school with a history of anaphylaxis to
milk.

Lynda