NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Louise Galbraith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:44:25 EST
In a message dated 3/29/99 11:35:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have a question that some of you may be able to help me with.  We have =
 a 7 month old daughter who is breastfeed.  I'm thinking about weaning =
 her, but all the formula is milk-based.  I really don't want her to have =
 milk-based formula, and I know that soy is not much better.  Does anyone =
 have suggestions?

        Hi, Amy!  I've have researched the topic of breastmilk for babies quite a bit
and the conclusion I have come to is nothing is more suited for a human baby
than human milk.  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends "that
breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as
mutually desired."
        Both cow's milk formula and soy formula can be highly allergenic.
Personally, I'm not taking the chance ... milk allergies run in my family.
Here is an interesting link on
infant formula</a>.  Good luck!
        Louise