NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:16:48 -0800
Well, I've spent the past week baking cakes and trying ideas to get ready
for my daughters upcoming 3rd b'day.  I had several blatant failures, and
a couple successes.  I'm giving up on finding a moist white cake recipe
that will hold up to what I'm looking for.  Most came out rather dense
and dry or had a sharp margerine taste.  Anyway, here are two successes.

Kathy P.

Basic White Cake
(Note:  This one did not take well to using egg replacer.  It did not
rise nicely and was quite lumpy on top.)
( It does have a distinct margerine taste that might be better with
shortening.  I made it in a deep 8in pan and split it to make 2 layers.
This kept very well under a cake dome for several days)

4 oz margerine, room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c superfine sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c self rising flour
1/3 c water

Beat margerine with vanilla until light and creamy, add sugar, beat until
light and fluffy; add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
 Stire in half the sifted flour with half the water, stir until combined.
 Add remaining water and flour, sir in lightly, then beat lightly until
mixture is smooth.  Spread into greased tin, bake at 350F 50 minutes for
deep 8 in round.  Adjust times for other sizes of pans.

PA Dutch Applesauce Cake
(I left out the raisins.  I think this is the one we are going to go
with)

2 c sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1 c packed light brown sugar
1 c unsweetened applesauce
1 c raisins

Sift together first 6 ingred, set aside.  Cream shortening and sugar.
Alternately add the dry ingred in thirds and applesauce in halves to
creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition.  Mix in
raisins.  Turn batter into well greased 8x8x2 pan.  Bake at 350F for
30-35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean and top springs back
when lightly touched.  Cool in pan on cooling rack.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.